A couple weeks ago, we posted a blog about Pornography. I wanted to share a few thoughts and resources with you as you navigate finding freedom over your sin:
- You are not alone and your addiction does not define you. As you seek help, be ok with sharing your addiction. It’s a lie to believe you will not be able to change. God’s grace and the work of Holy Spirit are more powerful!
- Accountability alone is not the answer. Many times people want accountability, but it lacks digging deeper into your sin and becomes a trap of guilt and shame. Find accountability with some close friends who will Gospel you through your addiction.
- Make war with your sin. If you have a smart phone, internet, cable, etc. and it’s tempting you, get rid of it. Don’t justify reasons why you need them, if they are causing you to sin.
- Find community based on the Gospel, not your addiction. You need people around you that will preach and share the Gospel with you for all of sin, not just a specific sin. Your community needs to be based on your identity in Jesus, not a specific sin struggle.
- Read, pray, and trust deeply in the work of the Gospel. Seems simple, but really it’s the most powerful asset.
- Idleness / Lack of Vision. Idleness is an invitation to temptation. This kind of lack of vision and awareness will lead you to be enslaved by pornography.
- Get involved in the local church. The best way to eliminate idleness is to join a serve team. If you have lots of free time come volunteer at The District Church Headquarters. There are so many needs and opportunities to use your time for things of eternal value. Feel free to email us if you would like to.
Redemption by Mike Wilkerson
Pornography: Slaying the Dragon by David Powlison
Coming Clean by David Powlison
Disciplines Of A Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes
Professional Counselors in Jacksonville
Dr. Marcus Allen - 904-614-8070
Mark Dumdei - 904.886.2446
Keith Schroyer 725-1800