I hope your summer is getting off to a great start! As you think through your summer plans, I wanted to share a couple things going on around our church family and annual rhythms we are discovering as we do life and ministry together. We don't want summers to be a time where everyone thinks the church shuts down, but leverage the summer for growth through our relationships and resting. These are two important dynamics that will allow is to continue to grow and reach people for Jesus.
One of the more challenging parts of being a portable church is that we don’t get a lot of down time on Sundays for casual relationship building. Most of the relationships built on Sundays are through Serve Teams while we are doing ministry. This summer, since we won’t have to do a weekly setup/breakdown and our Community Groups will be off for the summer, we are going to focus our summer on relationships and recreation with the extended church family!
Here are a couple things to put on your calendar:
1. Team Nights - I love how our Serve Teams get together regularly for relationship building, having fun, and training in order to serve people better. The next Team Night will be on June 6th at 6:30pm at District HQ for our Guest Services Team and anyone interested in joining!
2. Dating Conference - Pastor Jeth and I are going host an event at the HQ for those of you who are single or dating. We’ll do two teaching sessions plus a Q&A session on anything you want to know. The mini-conference will be Friday, June 24th from 6-10pm at District HQ. Cost is $10 and will include dinner.
3. Volunteer Party at the Lake - We exist through the ministry of volunteers, people in our church who’ve taken ownership of the mission and vision. This is a day we can honor and have fun with the people who make TDC happen! If you are a current volunteer, Save the Date for July 17th at 5pm -- it's going to be a party!
4. Dreamette Night - Who doesn’t love ice cream? On June 22nd, make an effort to head out to The Dreamette to meet some folks around the church. We want this night be laid back and serve as an opportunity for people to get to know more people within our church family. We'll meet at Dreamette at 7pm on the 22nd! Dreamette is cash only.
5. Serve the City Weekend - I’ll write more about this later, but save the date for August 12-14. We are going to spend a few days serving our schools in various ways. We want at least 100 people from TDC to participate and want you to play a part. We’ll have projects ranging from serving teachers meals to remodeling a teachers lounge. Mark your calendars and plan to serve.
I’m excited about this summer and leveraging it as an opportunity for our church family to celebrate God’s grace through relationships with one another as we spend the summer building the church through resting and having fun together as we move into the fall of 2016. We aren’t slowing down in our drive to reach people for Jesus, but leveraging the summer to energize through relationships and celebrating.
Love you and honored to be your pastor,