During Sunday's sermon, we spent some time talking about our Core Values. As The District Church, these are how we respond to the gospel as disciples of Jesus. This week, spend some time learning these and taking them to memory. Then, spend some time in prayer and ask God which areas you need to respond to the gospel in. As we seek to be a church that is marked by unity, we all need to begin to adopt these values into our lives.
Worship Jesus with all of life
- Start your day with spiritual disciplines of prayer and Bible reading. You can read with our church through our preaching campaigns or find a great reading plan via the bible.com app on your phone.
- Remind yourself of the gospel identity you’ve been given. Ask God to show you what you are placing your highest trust in and repent when it’s not God himself.
- Start the morning with a prayer of confession and repentance. Come prepared ready to serve and hear from God.
- Bring a notebook and Bible. I know we tend to use our phones, but I’d encourage you to bring a paperback Bible. If you don't have one, stop by Next Steps on Sunday and our team would be happy to gift you one.
- Learn the songs we’ll be singing during the week to prepare to worship Jesus together. Follow us on Spotify for a playlist of Sunday's songs.
- Ask your spouse, kids, friends, and co-workers, "how can I serve you?" One of the easiest ways to start living out this value is simply by serving those around you daily.
- Join a Serve Team: Being around a group of people committed to serving others is encouraging and you end-up ‘catching’ this more than being taught it.
Gives Generously and Gladly
- Reorient your schedule to allow the margin to give your time away to others.
- Start tithing; start somewhere. You can give online, on Sundays, or mail your gift to 1650-302 Margaret St. #126, Jax, FL, 32204.
- Generosity can be planned for. Start a budget today.
Trains for Ministry
- Spend time doing some self-assessment. What are my passions, my strengths, how has God gifted me? What are the ways I can use these in order to advance the gospel with my church family?
- Take the Leadership Profile Assessment we’ve created and then follow up with one of our staff members to walk you through a process of coaching.
Lives on Mission
- Who are your neighbors or co-workers you can begin doing life with?
- Who are people you can ask come “sit with me?" Bring them to church or community group with you.
- Start sharing the good news with people about Jesus.
- Remind yourself that God has called you to be a missionary in our city. He sent you to Jacksonville for a reason: to bring good news to the people that He’s placed in your direct contact. Don’t ever forget that!
Leads others Faithfully
- Be consistent with your church attendance, participation with Community Groups, and Serve Teams. You don’t realize the impact of consistency over a long period of time, and what it can do in your life.
- Plant some deep roots in our church and city by investing into people.
- Lead yourself well. Prioritize your spiritual, emotional, physical, and mental health. You can't lead others if you aren’t healthy yourself. If you have some questions about this, email our team and we can send some recommendations on getting healthy.
One of our greatest joys at The District Church is the time we are allowed to gather together in worship on Sundays. We rejoice in song over the greatness of our Lord Jesus. We are so thankful for the talent and the heart that our band and production team has to lead our church to the cross in worship. Our hope is to continue that, and to give others the same opportunity to lead people in songs about Jesus and to grow as artists and disciples. If you call The District Church home and you have a musical talent, we would love to give you the opportunity to lead with the band & production team.
Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. (1 Chronicles 16:23-26 ESV)
Take you next step in joining the band & production team by sending me an email at Joshua@thedistrictchurch.com for more information.
It's an honor to lead you,
Joshua Wicker, Worship & Creative Director
Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. Acts 6:3 ESV
On Sunday, Pastor Boyd challenged us that as disciples we should serve selflessly. When we embrace serving selflessly we can experience joy because we can impact another person's story.
Here are some practical ways to take a step in Serving Selflessly...
1. Sunday Serve Teams: Every Sunday there is an opportunity to serve at The District Church. The opportunities vary from Guest Services, District Kids, or Bands and Production. No matter if your personality is one that likes behind the scenes, there is a place for you.
As a church we are committed to investing into our local schools. Not only is it our priority as a church, but it's our responsibility. We get to not only serve students, but teachers, parents, coaches, and the city by investing into our schools. One of the biggest impacts a church can have in it's city is in schools! We have two opportunities for you to invest your time into our community coming up:
1. Pre-Game Meals for JV and Varsity Football Team
We are helping with the pregame meals this Football Season for the JV and Varsity teams at Lee High School. We will help cook the meals and serve the teams. This is simple way for us to invest our time into Lee High School, who graciously hosts us every Sunday! You'll have the opportunity to impact the lives of many by simply investing some time cooking and serving a meal!
2. Ruth Upson Elementary Clean Up Day
August 15th, from 9am-12pm, we'll be serving the students at Ruth Upson by laying mulch, cleaning up flower beds, and making some minor improvements to their campus. You'll get to help make their school more warm and inviting by investing some time into their school. It might seem like a simple task of yard work, but what you are doing is letting the students know that they are valued and they can take pride in their school!