I hope your summer is getting off to a great start! As you think through your summer plans, I wanted to share a couple things going on around our church family and annual rhythms we are discovering as we do life and ministry together. We don't want summers to be a time where everyone thinks the church shuts down, but leverage the summer for growth through our relationships and resting. These are two important dynamics that will allow is to continue to grow and reach people for Jesus.
One of the more challenging parts of being a portable church is that we don’t get a lot of down time on Sundays for casual relationship building. Most of the relationships built on Sundays are through Serve Teams while we are doing ministry. This summer, since we won’t have to do a weekly setup/breakdown and our Community Groups will be off for the summer, we are going to focus our summer on relationships and recreation with the extended church family!
Here are a couple things to put on your calendar:
1. Team Nights - I love how our Serve Teams get together regularly for relationship building, having fun, and training in order to serve people better. The next Team Night will be on June 6th at 6:30pm at District HQ for our Guest Services Team and anyone interested in joining!
2. Dating Conference - Pastor Jeth and I are going host an event at the HQ for those of you who are single or dating. We’ll do two teaching sessions plus a Q&A session on anything you want to know. The mini-conference will be Friday, June 24th from 6-10pm at District HQ. Cost is $10 and will include dinner.
3. Volunteer Party at the Lake - We exist through the ministry of volunteers, people in our church who’ve taken ownership of the mission and vision. This is a day we can honor and have fun with the people who make TDC happen! If you are a current volunteer, Save the Date for July 17th at 5pm -- it's going to be a party!
4. Dreamette Night - Who doesn’t love ice cream? On June 22nd, make an effort to head out to The Dreamette to meet some folks around the church. We want this night be laid back and serve as an opportunity for people to get to know more people within our church family. We'll meet at Dreamette at 7pm on the 22nd! Dreamette is cash only.
5. Serve the City Weekend - I’ll write more about this later, but save the date for August 12-14. We are going to spend a few days serving our schools in various ways. We want at least 100 people from TDC to participate and want you to play a part. We’ll have projects ranging from serving teachers meals to remodeling a teachers lounge. Mark your calendars and plan to serve.
I’m excited about this summer and leveraging it as an opportunity for our church family to celebrate God’s grace through relationships with one another as we spend the summer building the church through resting and having fun together as we move into the fall of 2016. We aren’t slowing down in our drive to reach people for Jesus, but leveraging the summer to energize through relationships and celebrating.
Love you and honored to be your pastor,
Transcultural Church Family
Last year, we felt the Lord leading us towards better reflecting our context of ministry and what we see scripturally in Acts. We’ve been very slow in the process. We feel that as a church in order to be become a multiethnic and diverse congregation, it’s going to take a while to do in so in a way that is helpful, healthy, and can flourish. Continue to pray for our staff as we seek to learn from other leaders and people in our city!
I’d like to encourage you about the discipline of being consistent. Many of us in our church are inconsistent with our Sunday attendance, Community Group attendance, and many other spiritual disciplines. I really believe there is something powerful that God does in our consistency.
Incredible weekend, 65 people from our church took their Saturday to invest into the facilities at Lee High School. For our 2016 Vision of “Here as in Heaven,” we committed to giving 1000 Hours away to our city. So far, we’ve given 275 hours!
Whenever and Wherever
Sunday, I’ll start preaching Acts 16-18, during our series called “Whenever and Wherever.” If every person is a disciple that makes disciples, we need to see that whenever God gives opportunities and wherever He has in life we get to make disciples. Get a jump start and start reading Acts 16:1-10.
Leadership Advance - March 20th
We are introducing something brand new for our church called District 101. We believe one of our greatest strengths as a church will be our ability to articulate and develop church culture. District 101 will be our new onramp for all volunteers in our church! We’ll talk about the ‘why’ behind ‘what’ we do and ‘how’ we do things. If you are a current volunteer, we want you to be there as well. We’ve never done a real training on culture and this will be a great place for you!
One of our greatest joys at The District Church is the time we are allowed to gather together in worship on Sundays. We rejoice in song over the greatness of our Lord Jesus. We are so thankful for the talent and the heart that our band and production team has to lead our church to the cross in worship. Our hope is to continue that, and to give others the same opportunity to lead people in songs about Jesus and to grow as artists and disciples. If you call The District Church home and you have a musical talent, we would love to give you the opportunity to lead with the band & production team.
Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens. (1 Chronicles 16:23-26 ESV)
Take you next step in joining the band & production team by sending me an email at Joshua@thedistrictchurch.com for more information.
It's an honor to lead you,
Joshua Wicker, Worship & Creative Director
Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. Acts 6:3 ESV
On Sunday, Pastor Boyd challenged us that as disciples we should serve selflessly. When we embrace serving selflessly we can experience joy because we can impact another person's story.
Here are some practical ways to take a step in Serving Selflessly...
1. Sunday Serve Teams: Every Sunday there is an opportunity to serve at The District Church. The opportunities vary from Guest Services, District Kids, or Bands and Production. No matter if your personality is one that likes behind the scenes, there is a place for you.